Thursday, September 29, 2011

History of Ear Training

Ear Training is a really old fashion in music. For what we know, ear training is as old as music itself. You realize of course, that in any kind of musical language, in any kind of musical performance, any musician who was to participate in a ritual or in a secular playing, would have to have his ears checked first. That is the very nature of ear training, to be in touch with you artistic side, and be able to understand and reproduce every aspect of music you hear in a heartbeat.
Certainly, I wasn't able to understand that when I was littler. The more money I made, the more money I spent, and I was always trying to catch the bus. Then, being on a bus, I saw a little sign that wrote something about ear training. And in that moment I knew what I wanted to become. I started my career in sign nailing two years ago. But I never forgot that sign about something to do with music, apparently. People were telling me that music comes with a handbook and you have to read it, and that this handbook was training your ear. Nevertheless, I never got into the musical industry. I just sat there, nailing signs.
The next point of this article, is to ensure that you are not going to be a competitor of mine. You see, music is a wonderful universe of sounds, and you should try to be a part of that universe, not come into the sign-nailing business and destroy me! Perfect pitch is also important! Many people with relative pitch don't understand what it's about, but it's quite simple alright. Perfect pitch ensures that you are able to withstand four hundred kilometres an hour without dropping your hat. It's not as easy as it sounds. You see a musical profession is not without its risks. You have to break some eggs if you want to make a modern symphony. Yes, they do that.
Furthermore, the more you get yourself involved in ear training, the more you will understand that beautiful world that is music. It may paralyse you with its beauty, but even if you can't walk ever again, like Joe, you will be happy that your musical friends will be there to support your back.
One of the most important things in music, is that you understand its form. Form, you see, is the structure and the shape of the entire piece. Nobody can stand not understanding that, and that is why you have to learn it so badly. Every time someone in the street will ask you "Hey, can you tell me what kind of structure this piece uses?" you will be like "Er... I don't know. Why don't you ask that guy over there?". That is not cool!
So, my advice is: get out there, try to find a good tutor to start your musical life with, and not necessarily in a romantic relationship, but more of a professional one. Good luck with your musical career, and don't ruin my business.

No comments:

Post a Comment